• Back on Biotin


As I was doing my fall supplement re-up something led me to the Biotin section. I haven't taken it since I first began my natural process 2 years ago during my transitioning period. During that time I was led to it by one of my sorority sisters who swore by it. I can say that I do feel like my hair did grow in thicker and faster BUT my main reason for discontinuing use was the fact that it make ALL your hair grow. Lol

This time I've tried a lower dosage because I do believe then I was taking the 5000mcg supplements. If you don't know what Biotin is it is a part of the Vitamin B family but is sometimes referenced to as Vitamin H. Naturally found in eggs, some dairy products, whole wheat bread, salmon, and chicken.  

Some benefits of Biotin use include but are not limited to:

Nail Growth

Dry, splitting, and thin nails may benefit from biotin supplementation. An article by M.W. Cashman and S.B. Sloan entitled "Nutrition and Nail Disease" was published in the journal of "Clinical Dermatology" in July 2010. In the article they discussed various diseases of the nails, commenting that biotin showed promise in the amelioration of nail disorders.

Hair and Skin

Like nails, hair and skin also need biotin for healthy formation and growth. In fact, according to UMM.edu, biotin combined with zinc and topical clobetasol propionate, has been used in the treatment of hair loss in both children and adults. Cradle cap may be caused by a deficiency in the vitamin, creating the scaly, flaky scalp in infants. A study featured in the "Seminars of Dermatology" in December 1991 discussed the skin manifestations of biotin deficiency. Dr. D.M. mock states in the article that "deficiency of biotin causes alopecia and a characteristic scaly, erythematous dermatitis distributed around body orifices."



So if you're struggling with thin hair or are yearning for a little extra hair growth I'd suggest it. It's only about $4 dollars at your local Target. Consult with your doctor if you have any health conditions before taking.
What I'm working with so far, so lets see where we will be at the end of the winter!!!
(washed and semi blown out, my arm got tired...lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment