• How to: Heatless Bouncy Curls on Natural Hair using Perm Rods!


Happy New Year My Naptural beauties!!!
2014 flew by for sure but before it ended I decided to give a new hairstyle a try and I have to tell you that I am absolutely in love with it! I went out of town for the holidays and was anti doing my hair. I wanted a style that was going to be low maintenance and make it through workouts and NYE itself. I was going to give crochet braids a try, until I watched the tutorials a little closer. I became less focused on recreating the protective style and more interested in recreating the curl pattern with my actual tresses.

I went and purchased 2 packs of the orange perm rods along with a new jar of ORS twist and lock gel and after an intense wash day, I decided to give it a try. And my hair has literally been in this style just about every day since.

This particular day, I decided to prepoo using some olive oil and a little deep conditioner that was lying around the house. Then I decided to wash my hair using bentonite clay, which is a whole post in itself. I of course conditioned with my Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle conditioner and detangled with a wide tooth shower comb with my hair coated! I also did a little finger detangling while my hair was under running water.
BENTONITE CLAY HAIR MASK


After leaving the sink, I immediately sealed with my EVOO and JBCO mix. I then used a cream moisturizer when prepping to blow my hair out which completed the L.O.C. method. I then separated my hair into 4 sections and used the tension method to blow dry my hair.

MY CURLS AFTER BEING WASHED AND DETANGLED

**the tension method is simply the act of holding ones hair taut with the hand to stretch the curls and without the use to hair tools, running the blow dryer along the hair to straighten the curls with the breakage caused by using a brush


On my freshly washed, blown out hair I then used one pack of rollers on each side. I used the wrap and twist method which is very similar to wrapping your hair around a curling wand minus the use of direct heat. The only styler I use is the ORS Twist and Loc gel and I apply minimal EVOO during take down.




I normally get about 4-5 days with this style without any touchups. That includes real workouts and all over the place sleeping! (I sweat in my head so to find something that can withstand my workouts is a feat in itself)
All I do for maintenance is use a huge ouchless headband to pineapple and during the night I add a satin scarf. That’s it!!


 PINEAPPLED NIGHTLY TO MAINTAIN


Day 1 Hair:

Day 2 Hair:


Day 3 Hair:


 Day 4 Hair:



Give it a try!!! And let me know how it turns out!!!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this! I feel like I'm stalking you, I saw you were elected for Natural Hair Ambassador or something of that nature on a natural hair page that I follow, congrats! I've been to your IG page and now your blog. Lol. Quick question, when you say wrap and twist method, am I twisting my hair like I would for Bantu Knots and then wrapping it around the perm rod?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Thank you! I appreciate it! And it's just fine, I truly appreciate that you stopped by to check it out! And yes it pretty similar to that, but I think a better way to describe it is how you wrap your hair around a curling wand. You twist it as you wrap if that makes sense. A good tutorial to check out is India of MyNaturalSistas on Youtube. Hope this helps!!!

    ReplyDelete