• Flexi Rods on Natural Hair


As my life has completely changed over the past few months with my transition into the real world, I have had to find ways to adapt my hair styling regimen to accommodate earlier wake up times and longer days. I was used to waking up, twisting or braiding my hair for the day, and taking them out before class at 5 p.m. That is definitely not the case now, as I have to be at my desk by 7 o'clock in the morning.

I've found a few things that have worked, the PINEAPPLE method being one of the most amazing lifesavers I have ever found. But finding ways to set my hair on Sunday has been the biggest contributor to living a sane life so far.

I decided after many a failed attempts to retry a flexi rod set on my hair. This time I used about 50-60 rods and used a twisting/wrapping motion instead of the usual flexi rod pattern. I was looking to create more of a wavy pattern than a "Shirley Temple" curls pattern if that makes sense.

I will link the video below that I mimicked in creating this style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEpDL1kvcA&index=3&list=FLpyLcF-nPIDjeGOPIhmQceg

I began on freshly washed and deep conditioned hair, I wanted my hair to be almost soaking wet for this style as it creates easier movements we wrapping. After I washed my hair, I sealed in the moisture by coating my wet strands with coconut oil and the applied my Curls moisturizer before I created my sections.

Before installing each rod I made sure my hair was thoroughly detangled and applied some twist and loc gel, as I am not a fan of setting lotions. My hair doesn't do well with those. After the install was complete I sat under the dryer, this did not last long because I hate hooded dryers! I made it for about an hour and a half on medium heat, then decided to just let them air dry over night.




Sleeping on these things was not the easiest task I have ever been given, but I made it work and took them out the next morning. I applied a little jojoba oil to my hands before take down to decrease frizz and further moisturize.




I then separated each wavy curl into sections to create fullness and then used my pic to conceal any harsh parts. The flexi rod set made it the entire week! I literally just did the pineapple method at night and woke up the next day shook them out and kept moving. I was a little concerned that they wouldn't withstand my workout schedule, but I was proven wrong. I worked out Monday-Thursday and my curls were still intact Friday as I hit the Little Rock streets.
Day 1


Day 3
 
 Day 5

Definitely Kiara approved! If you have the time, I would say give it a try. I did put the rods in on a Sunday around 4 o'clock to allow enough drying time so be aware of the length of time you need for this style, but other than sleeping on the rods I loved it and will be doing it again very soon!

Enjoy my Naptural Beauties!

-Kiara

No comments:

Post a Comment